About Norway Township
Norway Township is located in the south central portion of Dickinson County and consists of approximately 89 square miles. According to the 2010 census there are 1,489 people living in the township with the majority living in the southern portion which consists of rolling hills and farmland. The village of Vulcan is also located in the southern portion of the township. The northern two-thirds of the township is made up of rugged terrain including cliffs, swamps and many small lakes and streams. State owned land in the township includes over 29,000 acres of the Copper Country State Forest.
PLACING POLITICAL SIGNS IN NORWAY TOWNSHIP
- Signs shall not be placed 45 days prior to the election to which the sign pertains and shall be removed within 10 days after the election date and shall not be placed within 100 feet of any polling place, even if it is on private property.
- Signs shall not be permitted in the public right-of-way or any other public property. Signs shall not exceed 9 sq. ft. in area in all zoning districts except R1 which is limited to 4 sq. ft.
- Signs along US2 and US8 shall be placed 30 feet or more from the edge of the roadway.
- Signs adjacent to County Roads must be placed 14 ft or more from the outside edge of the shoulder of the roadway.
- Signs shall not be placed within the “clear vision” areas on intersections that will interfere with safety.
- Norway Township does not require a permit or charge a fee for political signs. The City of Norway, however, does require a permit and a fee so please be sure of the placement of your signs.
CLERK'S OFFICE HOURS 6/25/18 THRU 8/6/18
Mondays 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
Tuesdays 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
Thursday 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday, August 4 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The last day to register to vote for the August 7, 2018 primary is 7/9/18.
I can also be reached by phone at 715-927-0423 or by e-mail at email@example.com at any time.
SCRAP TIRE DROP OFF
Norway Township has received a scrap tire cleanup grant from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ). Beginning Tuesday, May 29, 2018 residents can drop off loose passenger tires at the Dickinson County Baler site located just south of the US-2 & 141 Junction behind the Thomas Theater (Cinema 8) during normal operating hours 8:00 to 3:00 Monday thru Friday and 9:00 to Noon on Saturday. The grant will cover the cost of disposal of passenger tires. No heavy truck, semi, tractor, solid tires or tires with rims. If rims are attached, a $10 per tire fee will be charged to the individual. A property tax receipt and picture ID are needed to verify residency, and a signature will be required to attest that the tires came from the address as stated. The grant will run through November 1, 2018 or until the grant funds are depleted.
TAX COLLECTION HOURS FOR SUMMER 2018 TAXES
Office hours for summer tax collection will be on Wednesdays, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. There is a drop box located on the door of the treasurer’s office for your convenience. For more information, contact Kristen Lavalley, Treasurer, at 906-282-1082.
ABSENTEE VOTER INFORMATION
“Norway Township residents who are interested in obtaining an application to receive an absentee ballot for the upcoming Primary Election on August 7th, should contact the Norway Township Clerk at 563-9100 (office), 715-927-0423 (cell), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at the Norway Township Hall at N1732 Mission Street in Vulcan. You are eligible to vote absentee if;
1, You are over 60 years old
2. Expect to be absent from the area on Election Day,
3. You are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another
4. Cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion
5. Have been appointed as an election worker in another precinct
6. Cannot attend the polls because you are confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial”
STREETLIGHT QUESTIONSIf you have a concern regarding the streetlights in Norway Township, contact Don Byczek, Supervisor, at 563-9100 or 563-5376. You will be asked to fill out a form regarding placement and what the issue is. The Supervisor will review your request and contact you. If you are still not satisfied with the results of your inquiry, the matter can be appealed to the Norway Township Board for final determination.
MUSIC IN THE PARK 2018
Music in the Park 2018 summer concert series begins Thursday, June 14 and runs thru Thursday, August 16. Concerts are held at the Band Shell on Main Street in Norway. Attendance is free. Bring your own seating, as bench space is limited. Here is the line-up:
6/14 – Black Pearl
6/21 – Norton and Chartier
6/28 – Derrell Syria Project
7/5 – MoJo
7/12 – Phil Lynch Quartet
7/19 – Cadillacs
7/26 – Local Brew
8/2 – Carolyn Jo & Company
8/9 – Flagship Romance
8/16 – Music Jar
Norway Township will strive to serve its constituents with dependable and efficient
service. The highest standards and lawfully executed service is our goal.
Norway Township Hall
Norway Township Hall
PO Box 495, N1732 Mission St.
Vulcan, MI 49892